Long Island Rail Sights: Riverhead and Greenport

Long Island Railroad Museum in Riverhead:

Although Riverhead may be considered the virtual end of Long Island, it was only the beginning of the originally conceived intermodal rail-to-sea connection to the North Fork towards an eventual cruise ferry.

Taking the name of the earliest settlement "river head" or "river head", the extremely designated one-man river "river", the ninth of the ten Suffolk County towns, was created from the west end of Southold on March 13, 1792.

So detached and autonomous, it was injected with the growth of the arrival of the railway and the station itself, built on July 29, 1844, and serving the Southern Ferry, from Brooklyn, to the Greenport Line, was built on what is now Railroad Avenue. Despite its purpose, it channeled its own passenger who disembarked on coaches that took them to Quogue and other southern island destinations.

Trains in the east set up the city on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, while the west, according to Brooklyn, operated them on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Mercantile, milling and manufacturing, its predominant commercial endeavors, in 1875 supplied 1,600 residents, a community boasting two mills, offices, 20 shops, three hotels and six churches.

The replacement of the original train station, which was turned into the home of the railroad workers, a wooden framed wooden designed by Charles Hallett containing decorated and intricate finials, was built west of Griffing Avenue between 1869 and 1870. This was later replaced by a third, this time which in included its construction on brick, June 2, 1910.

"In the early 1900s, the East was the site of prosperous potato farms in the summer and deep snow in the winter," wrote Ron Ziel and George H. Foster in their book "Steel Rails to the Exit: Long Island Rail" (Ameron House, 1965; page 158).

"From the moment he realized that the original reason for his existence had disappeared with the construction of the New Haven to Boston railroad (fifty years earlier), LIRR had played a major role in the development of the area to the east," they continued (p. 158). "… Business and civic organizations across the island have joined prominent citizens, newspapers and railroads to promote Long Island travel and resorts."

That development, however, was hardly fast and when the rails were later replaced by roads, the Long Island Railway was re-invented, the intermodal transportation goal disappeared, which left most of its passengers traveling to Manhattan during a mass morning exit. .

In fact, by 1963, the mainline line east of Riverhead had been reduced to one daily freight passenger and thirty weekly freight traffic using the railroad originally laid for the mid-19th century rail link.

Today's high-level concrete platform, which on certain days and seasons is not subject to any steaks, was built between 1996 and 1997, but for rail lovers, part of its history is preserved at the Long Island Railway Museum across from it.

"Long Island's history can be traced to the steel rails that cross its diverse landscape – from the dark tunnels below New York to the farms and sand dunes of the East End," his website states. "The Long Island Railroad Museum seeks to illustrate this history through interpretive displays from its archive of photographs and artifacts, and through the preservation and restoration of vintage railroad equipment at its two locations in Riverhead and Greenport, New York."

The former, which consisted of a 70-foot parcel of land now owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, but leased to the museum, used to throw a pump house, a water tower and a turntable that was no longer dimensionally compatible with a larger, more powerful locomotives occur during World War II. The foundation of the complex today is a building dating from 1885, used by the Corwin and Vail Lumber Yard yards, and now serves as a visitor center for the Long Island Railroad's Lionel model carriage of various carriages, cardboard and balsa wood replicas at the Riverhead depot, marking its one hundredth anniversary, and a souvenir shop.

Through it is the Lionel Visitor Center, which features a multi-track layout with the Ringling and Barnum and Bailey circular displays, a water tower that identifies the city as "Lionelville", and 72 extras activated by a push of a button from the windmill to the illuminated control the towers.

There are two other rail lines out there: the Freeman Railway with Chassis G and the Complex Bypass and Ride, 1964-1965 World's Fair Train.

Built by Alan Herschel, the 16-lane train was an integral part of the Long Island Rail Show, after which it was used by Grumman Aerospace at its Calverton excursion site, and before being used by the Patchogue Village and eventually donated to the museum.

Since it has been rebuilt, its engine and three cars, carrying the fair world and advertising, “Drive the Log Island. Take the Easy, Steel Road to the Fair Gateway, ”running at 670 feet of track, usually starting every half hour and making three laps. The ride is included in the price.

The passageway before it, originally located in Innwood, Queens, and protected by weather guards, made it easier to manually lower and raise the gates when trains passed to hinder the movement of pedestrians and vehicles. Riverhead returned to the automatic system in the early-50s.

The Long Island Railroad Museum, steam and diesel locomotives, and passenger and freight cars are diverse and historically significant. Although several are exhibited outside the gift shop, most are located across Griffing Avenue, parallel to the currently active LIRR lanes and across the present Riverhead station.

The players at the 1955 Steam Completion Ceremony were exposed, albeit at different stages of the restoration.

Time, distance and technology separated the steam locomotives from their passenger wagons more than half a century ago, but the museum has reunited some of them and is now located just meters away from each other, albeit in static but rebuilding states.

As one of ten Pennsylvania Railroad G-5 tennis wheels, the "39 engine", for example, was built in its Juniata dealerships in 1923, but its powerful capabilities, expressed in its characteristics, are ideally suited for everyday work, demanding line service : gross weight of 237,000 pounds, cylinder power of 2,178 hp, boiler pressure of 205 psi, 41 towing effort of 41,328 pounds and speeds between 70 and 85 mph.

Primarily serving the Oyster Bay branch, it was the last steam engine to travel to Greenport in June 1955.

Releasing his rail car in the arms of the RS-3 diesel locomotive, Number 1556, during the handover of End Steam in Hicksville, he indulged in an era. The 1,600-hp AGP-16msc engine, envisioned by multiple unit speed controls and built by a U.S. locomotive, then served the Long Island rail system for 22 years, after which it was purchased by the Gettysburg and Maryland Midland Railroad, and was eventually acquired by the museum.

An interesting, but not necessarily related to Long Island history, was the recently purchased BEDT (East District Terminal Railway) locomotive in Brooklyn, which has a 0-6-0 wheel configuration. Made by HK Porter in 1923 for Astoria Power and Light Company, it has been crossed in several hands, including those of Fleischman & # 39; s yeast in Peekskill, New York; Alabama rail and locomotive; and finally, since 1938, the Brooklyn East Terminal District itself, numbering 16 and providing waterway (barge) service by car from the Brooklyn coast to several Class 1 railroads in Manhattan, the Bronx and New Jersey.

As the last steam engine to run both east of the Mississippi River and New York, it was withdrawn only in October 1963, or eight years after the Long Island Railroad discontinued its own use of this technology.

The museum is well presented and passenger cars.

The # 200 double-decker bus, which for example had its own Tuscan red color, was the first such two-level aluminum car. A joint project between the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA), an experimental prototype for 120 passengers, built in 1932, was an attempt to increase capacity without creating excessively long trains, and because of their non-standard status, emerged without control posts or traction units engine. Marked Class T-62s in production form, they housed 132.

A later, more ubiquitous passenger car was the P72, two of which were exposed, which had an earlier Nordic scheme of blue and platinum misty colors on the Long Island Railroad. Nos. 2923 and 2924 were part of the 1954 order for 25 trailers with 120 passenger locomotives, manufactured by Pullman Standard, at the Osgood Bradley plant in Worcester, Massachusetts, which initially appeared with battery-operated lighting and steam heating, but were retrofitted with kits below the diesel generator sets that powered these utilities. Providing Yoman service for 44 years, they did not retire until 1999.

The significance of the museum couple is that they both participated in the steam completion ceremony on October 8, 1955 in Hicksville: car 2924 pulled engine 39 and housed a Brooklyn scout leader, while car 2923 was similarly towed by engine 35 but originated in the East End .

Unbound, the former transferred to a 1556 diesel engine, departing for Jamaica, while the latter joined forces with 1555, departing for Riverhead. Practically hand in hand, a pair of now incomplete locomotives drove in the steam era, slamming into their retirement home in Morris Park.

Another notable pair of cars are two M1 museums displayed on the same track.

With a lightweight of 85 feet, 10 feet wide and 122 passengers, these lightweight temporary multi-unit cars, made of stainless steel with rounded fiberglass plugs, have four 160-horsepower General Electric 1255 A2 draft engines. and a quarter-point automatic, sliding door. They had a track width of 8 feet, 8.5 inches and offered a maximum radius of curve of 240 feet for connected units, and served as the threshold for the electrified era for the Long Island Railroad, as expressed in a public relations brochure called, " A New Generation of Rail Travel: Meet the Metropolitan, "who promised that" a new suburban railroad launch has been launched on the Long Island Railroad.

"The sleek stainless steel Metropolitan represents the next generation of suburban rail services," it said. "It's introducing a whole new look to the Long Island Railroad, the largest railroad in the country."

Explaining the motivation behind the design, it was said: "(The Metropolitan Transportation Authority) has determined that more of the same is in meeting the expectations of the equipment (needs and) of the Long Island Rail Road (not an option).

"The MTA has joined an extraordinary group of experts to work out the detailed specifications of the car, which resulted in the birth of the Metropolitan.

"This joint operation was managed by the MTA and its own technical staff, working in close collaboration with the experienced Long Island Railroad operating staff. This effort produced, in record time, specifications for the dramatically modified, newly built rail passenger cars. This would be at the forefront. the nation's passenger lines … "

A firm order for the 620 M1 Metropolitan and 150 options, then the largest single North American for multi-unit electric cars, was shipped with Budd, and deliveries took place between 1968 and 1973.

Demanding an increase in power from 650 to 750 volts DC, drawn by a contact shoe-third rail link, the guy entered service in an eight-car configuration on Dec. 30, 1968, from Brooklyn to Penn Station, blurring the lines between the characteristic rail lines. Supplement to engines and circuits and the concept of autonomous subway.

"The Metropolitan trains are deployed in two wagons, fully equipped for independent operations …," the public relations brochure explained. "One car in each unit contains batteries and a motor alternator. The other has an air compressor. The Metropolitan is the first such multi-utility utility train to operate."

The brochure also emphasized its progress.

"America's fastest, most modern trailer is loaded with innovation and modern features, designed to provide a high level of service and comfort to the LIRR driver."

Gradually replaced in the early 21st century, successful M7 cars commissioned by Bombardier from Canada, the first of which was delivered in 2002, and participated in its own Goodbye M1 ceremony, hosted by the Sunrise Trail Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, four years later, on November 4th.

No freight train or railway museum would be complete without a caboose. The Bay window, located at C-68's Long Island Railroad Museum, served as the conductor's office, security point at the end of the car chain, and space for the crew's life when a disabled return was moving. to night stations to home stations.

Long Island Rail Museum in Greenport:

Twenty-three road miles east is Greenport, the second location of the Long Island Railroad Museum and near the railroad. But when the Long Island railroad was conceived, it was only the beginning of it – in terms of purpose and point of intermodal connectivity, where the torch was transiting from a train to a steamboat to travel on a transverse sound. The technology eventually conquered the Connecticut Southern Railroad to Boston and destroyed the growing raison d & trect concern.

Although the second museum is poor in the fleet, it has a rich history.

Settled by colonists from New Haven in 1648, it capitalized on its eastern end, leading an accessible location, developing into a shipping and shipping center, with small ships transporting products to Connecticut and larger ones serving New York and New England. Kitolov began in 1790.

Because its port was intended as a terminal and transfer point, it was equally attractive to the track.

"Greenport was the place that built the Long Island Railroad," historian Frederick A. Kramer. "With the shiny harbor opening in Gardiner's Bay, the Boston mainland boat packages were to be put together with whales and local fishing boats."

Although Greenport opened its doors to the train port on July 29, 1844, the first official trip – and the first segment advertised "via route to Boston" – occurred only the following month, August 10, when the train departed Brooklyn at 8 p.m. and arriving at 12:00, after which the passengers embarked on a rail steamer, "Cleopatra," (part of a $ 400,000 investment in ships and docks) for a two-hour crossing to Stonington, Connecticut, and then ending the journey by rail again. to Boston, at Norwich and Worcester.

Although the fire engulfed the original wooden warehouse and platform, which opened on July 27, 1844, a quarter of a century later a second, designed by Charles Hallett, rose on the north side of the double tracks in October 1870, turning Greenport into a rail center with a freight house. a turntable, a dock and a storage shed, which served as a starting point for Pullman cars destined for cities west of Pittsburgh.

Although the North Fork is in general and the area surrounding it still cultivated potatoes and cauliflower, this once cultivated farmland has been reduced to hours away and re-sized for purpose, attracting people who have developed commerce and industry.

Unsuccessfully competing with the New Haven and Hartford railroads, and then trying to rely on interstate traffic after its original plan was neglected, it still managed to transfer its crops to markets in the west, and the fleet owned by the railroad allowed access to the Block Iceland, Montauk on the South Fork and New London in Connecticut.

In order to facilitate the remaining rail journey on Long Island, while still providing protection from the sea area of ​​the characteristic salty air, a third Victorian style warehouse was built in 1892, incorporating red brick construction and decorative features, such as hip roof, relief patterns. wrought iron coats of arms and finials. In addition to the open cargo house, which also had a truck bay, sliding doors, wooden deck and four-story entrance from Fourth Street, she joined other facilities in what developed into a large rail yard and included a four-story motor home, a tank for water, heating space and maintenance structures.

The East End train, as expected, went down, with daily commuting between Amagansett and Greenport made with a small, 4-4-0 steam locomotive, towing a combine (passenger and luggage) car and a full train. He left at 10:00 and made side stops in Eastport and Manorville. Because it followed the semicircular route guidance, loss-ridden ride, carrying mail, express and a handful of souls, it was alternatively dubbed the "Scoot" and "Cape Town Train."

After landing in Greenport, he again followed in his footsteps, starting at 2pm.

But the advent of the Depression car and silencer hastened its break in February 1931.

"(Today) two train station buildings, combined with a historical turntable and a cross-sectional cavity, contain the largest and most complete view of railroad related structures and structures to survive in the unique and specific historic area of ​​Long Island," to the Long Island Railroad Museum's website.

One of them, the original cargo house, houses the museum itself.

Of note are two HO model railroads that depict Greenport during the 1950s and today. What is common between the two is the integral role that ports, ports and shores have always played in their history.

Another important aspect was the passenger car service on the Long Island Railroad, which operated between the 1940s and 1980s, providing a rich and popular way of traveling for New Yorkers vacationing in the East End or just making picnics on the weekends find comfortable seating, cutlery, and china. It's down to Montauk, on the South Fork, called "Cannonball," and according to Greenport, "Shelter Island Express."

The railroad atmosphere of an earlier era was created by artifacts and devices that were once considered "modern", such as a handheld typewriter, a handheld telephone, a hose wagon, a water cooler, flags and a lamp conductor signal and ticket windows.

The remnants of the Bliss Tower, formerly located in the Blissville section of Queens, illustrate how objects such as these were erected on the track intersections, allowing operators to have visual contact with approach trains and appropriate actuation, by manual means, by switching the switch, which basically served as locomotives & # 39; & # 39; control mechanisms.

For example, controlling traffic from Long Island City along the Montauk branch, for centuries, these towers constituted an integral intersection infrastructure until automation eliminated their needs.

Several cars are exposed outside on the track accessed by the cargo warehouse that surrounds the wooden deck.

The former Long Island Railroad W-83 snowmobile, for example, was bolted in front of one or more locomotives and was pushed at a speed of 35 km / h, clearing the snow trail. Due to the tooth-like color scheme, the museum example, which is the only such LIRR unit, has been nicknamed the "jaw."

The No. 14 Kabu behind it, built by the American car and foundry company in 1927, was part of the rail order for timber tracks and served the entire route system, including branches that no longer exist.

After retiring in the 1960s, he switched to several secondary hands, including those on the Branford Electric Railway, the Essex Valley Railroad, Connecticut and eventually a museum, returning to the home soil of Long Island on May 17, 1997.

Behind the display of the museum's rolling stock and across the triple, still-active Long Island Railroad, is an 80-meter-long turntable, last used by steam locomotive No. 39, June 5, 1955, and one of the remaining three is the only pneumatic.

Conceived as one day to re-set it for steam-powered excursion trains between the locations of the Riverhead Museum and Greenport, it will take passengers by rail to cross the North Fork and break the original railroad nearly two centuries after it was set up.

To the left of the turntable is a high-level concrete platform built between 1997 and 1998 and in most cases performing LIRR fields two days a day. To the left is the original 1897 station building, which closed 70 years later, and today houses the East End Harbor Museum.

Finally, the current port-extending arch was replaced by one that once supported the railroads leading to steamboats bound for Stonington, the original purpose of the Long Island Railroad.